https://lemonsandtime.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/cinnamon-rolls-cream-cheese.jpg 674 1201 Kent Dagnall https://lemonsandtime.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/lemons-and-time-logo-300x138.png Kent Dagnall2020-12-25 16:15:392020-12-25 16:30:56Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Frosting
Made-from-scratch cinnamon rolls with cream cheese frosting are the best way to wake and bake on Sunday mornings. Make sure to leave your butter out overnight to soften and plan for the the yeast taking about 2 hours to rise. Follow these easy steps anytime to make a rich, buttery & flakey dough.Print Pin Rate
Servings: 12 pastries
For the dough:
- 5 t active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup half and half or whey
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 8 oz butter room temperature
- 7 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp sea salt
For the filling:
- 12 oz butter room temperature
- 2.5 cups brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cinnamon
- Whisk yeast into warm water and let sit 5 minutes. Mix yeast with the eggs, half-and-half and vanilla.
- Add 1 cup of flour, the sugar, and the salt. Using the dough hook, a wooden spoon, or rubber spatula, slowly add 2 cups of flour, then the butter, and finally add the remaining 4 cups of flour.
- When the dough comes together in a smooth mass, place in a greased bowl.
- Let rise at least 1 hour, until roughly doubled.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured board and roll into a rectangle ½-inch thick.
- Spread 12-ounces of room temperature butter on all but the top ⅕ of the rectangle.
- Mix 2½ cups brown sugar with ¼ cup cinnamon, and spread it evenly over the buttered surface.
- Starting at the side closest to you, roll the rectangle into a log and pinch the un-buttered edge to seal.
- Using a bench cutter, sharp knife, or dental floss, cut 12 even slices.
- Place on greased baking sheets and let proof until doubled in volume, about 45 minutes. Don't put them anywhere too warm or the butter will melt out. Meanwhile preheat oven to 320F.
- Bake until golden brown, about 25-30 minutes. They will bake faster if you have a convection fan.
- 12 oz powdered sugar sifted
- 8 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 4 oz butter room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or maple
- Let the cream cheese and butter warm to room temperature so they can be easily whipped together with the other ingredients until smooth. Spread on top of cinnamon rolls before serving, with extra on the side.